Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Shelf: A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne #1) by Joey W. Hill


The angelic Jonah has been battling the Dark Ones for centuries. But his noble spirit has begun to tire with the weight of war—allowing a Dark One to strike a blow that severs his wings and knocks him into the sea.

Anna is a Daughter of Arianne—a direct descendant of the mermaid of legend. Anna’s longing for love compels her to risk her very life to protect and hide the fallen Jonah. And the longer Jonah delays his return to the heavens, the more Anna’s secret passions are tempted.

But as she falls more in love with him, Anna wonders if she’s destined to lose her heart and her dreams to save Jonah’s soul…

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

In the beginning I found it hard to get into this book. And even throughout it some parts seemed to drag on while others were interesting and wildly enjoyable. For the most part I enjoyed this book. I won’t say it was brilliant, but it was an okay read, if not long and tiresome at times.

For the most part I liked the two main characters, although at times I had my fair share of issues with them. Anna seemed naive and annoying at times and yet as the story went on, it was clear that she really was as noble and honourable as she came across. I mean really, if a woman is willing to die for someone the way she did for Jonah, then that’s really saying something.
I actually wasn’t fussed with Jonah either way. There were a lot of times where I really didn’t like him and the way he carried on. He had such a bad attitude to things, and although I see the purpose of this within the storyline, that doesn’t mean that it didn’t wear on my nerves, because it did.

The romance between Anna and Jonah was alright, although it seemed a bit forced at times and sometimes I felt like their physical relationship was more dominate than anything else in the book, which I don’t really like. I’m a big fan of an emotional connection between two characters first and then a gradual building of things but instead these two seemed to jump into bed together too quickly for my taste.
That being said, the sex scenes between these two are hot and steamy, if not a little out there. Some people have commented on the oddness of the one sex scene between Anna in her mermaid form (complete with tail and fins) and Jonah in his regular human form (complete with male...ahem....appendages), but I actually wasn’t bothered by this. The author has written it well and it was actually a nice scene between the too—intimate and trusting.

And yet for all the issues I had with it, I didn’t mind this book. When I got past the issues I had with it, it wasn’t too bad. It had its moments, especially the friendship between the angels which I’d have loved to have seen more of and even the idea that the great deity is actually a HER and not a HE---which I totally love. Girl power and all!
I find that the thing, or person, I seemed to love most about this book was Mina. Even though we didn’t get to see all too much of her, I feel like she could be a really complex, interesting character and I’m so intrigued by the possibility of her relationship with David that I’m actually going to read the second book, just to see what becomes of them.


Rating: *** stars
Recommend: Hmmm...yeah...I guess, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it.
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Borrow
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I love the cover! The pinks and purples go together so nice
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes. I just wanna read Mina's story

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo