Sunday, October 30, 2011

Book Shelf: Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles #4) by Alyxandra Harvey



The Drakes and friends will be tested when an infestation of deadly vampires threatens Violet Hill.

Lucy's cousin Christabel has come to live in Violet Hill, and adjusting to the difference between life in a small mountain town and her home in the city is difficult enough. The strict curfew that Lucy's parents enforce is the worst part. Something really dangerous couldn't possibly happen in this tiny town.
But Christabel has noticed some mysterious happenings, and it seems like Lucy, her boyfriend Nicholas and his brother Connor are all in on a secret that Christabel doesn't understand—one that seems deadly serious. Although she won't admit it, Christabel would love to be in on any secret with Connor Drake. But when she is kidnapped by the ruthless Hel-Blar vampires, Christabel must cause more and more trouble in Violet Hill, Lucy and Connor finally fill Christabel in on all the undead drama. Together, they must find a way to stamp out the Hel-Blar for good.

Blurb from
Goodreads.....


Review:

Alyxandra Harvey creates an exciting new vampire tale with Bleeding Hearts, the 4th book in her fabulous Drake Chronicles! Jump back into the world of the Drake family as they continue to deal with their new position in vampire politics and face new challenges.
I simply adore this series and I was excited to begin Connor’s tale. This was is a fun, easy read that you begin and simply devour. It’s a great way to escape from life in general and is a quick read. It’s extremely exciting and is never lacking in action or romance.

I must admit I was torn at sometimes with this book. Connor is essentially the Drake brother that we are following and Christabel his love interest, but it focuses very heavily on Lucy. Lucy is first and foremost my fave character in this series. I just love this girl, she rocks. I enjoyed having her front and centre so much, but I felt at times that Christabel and Connor weren’t the main focus enough. Don’t get me wrong I loved it, but I think I would have liked to have seen more of Conner and Christabel. I just don’t think they had enough time dedicated to them, unlike Logan and Quinn’s books where it focuses mainly on them. However Lucy and Nicholas still are my favourite couple even now, so I cannot deny that I ate up every touch, kiss and moment between them.

Connor is very different from his twin and I found him very endearingly cute. I liked that he quotes Star Trek and thought about Star Wars often--it made him seem more approachable. And yet there’s no denying that he’s a Drake brother through and through. He breaks into battle in a single moment and fights just like every one of his brothers.
I did like Christabel, although I think I was expecting more personality going into this book. I loved that she was tough though and lived her own life. Similar to Connor; she quoted poems during random moments and walked to the beat of her own drum. She wore combat books and read Jane Austen, while also being ready to defend a stranger and get back at a bully easily. I think she reacted to things realistically and adjusted to her new life in a manner in which I expected.

I was disappointed with the changes in Solange, although ecstatic to see so many of the Drake family and their respective others in this book--it’s great when you get to see the characters you love again.
Overall this book is a fantastic read that I highly recommend with a cliff-hanger ending that leaves you open mouthed and thinking, “No!” It certainly wasn’t something I was expecting and I can’t wait for the next book to find out just what happens!


Rating:
Source: Sent by Bloomsbury Australia (Thanks guys!)
Format: Paperback
AU Release Date: 1st November
Expected AU Price: $15.99
Recommend: Yes--vampire fans will eat this up!
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy
Cover: The covers in this series are awesome and this one is no exception.
Read sequel/continue with series: Of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo