Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Shelf: Jacob (Nightwalkers #1) by Jacquelyn Frank


Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers - the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer...

For 700 Years, He has resisted temptation. But not tonight...

Jacob knows the excuses his people give when the madness overtakes them and they fall prey to their lust for humans. He's heard every one and still brought the trespassers to justice. Immune to forbidden desires, uncontrollable hungers, or the curse of the moon, his control is total...until the moment he sees Isabella on a shadowy New York City street. Saving her life wasn't in his plans. Nor were the overwhelming feelings she arouses in him. But the moment he holds her in his arms and feels the soft explosion of her body against his, everything changes. Their attraction is undeniable, volatile, and completely against the law. Suddenly everything Jacob has ever believed is inflamed by the heat of desire...

Bring on the night.

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review:

Alright, so this book was cliche, cheesy and corny at times and you know what....I loved it for that!
I’m going to try to keep this review fairly short, but Jacob is a fairly decent read as far as Paranormal Romances go. It contained all the elements that make for a great PNR. It held just the right amount of action, wit, romance, humour and steamy love scenes to entertain me and keep me enthralled the entire time I was reading.

It was well written; descriptive and vivid and I enjoyed the world the author has crafted. You can tell that it’s very well thought out and that Jacquelyn Frank has put a lot of effort into creating her world and the supernatural creatures that reside in it. I liked all the Nightwalker creatures and loved Franks take on demons; that they were of the elements was so cool! I found myself immersed in the revealing relationships between the characters and the strong plotline and strong characters blended together perfectly to capture me from the very beginning.

There wasn’t a single character that I didn’t like in this book. From our main two, Isabella and Jacob to Jacob’s Demon brethren Noah, Elijah, Gideon and Legna—they were all very colourful characters and fell perfectly into the story. I enjoyed the relationships shared by them all and the bond between them. They had a very nice dynamic and I liked seeing events unfold.
Isabella was such a strong female lead. She was extremely feisty and I loved that she fought for what she wanted. She was outspoken and although she was an enigma and newcomer to the world of The Nightwalkers, I loved her inclusion and ability to deal with it. She quickly became at home within their world and it was awesome seeing her take such a strong hold over Jacob. She didn’t let him get away with anything and she certainly pushed him to be himself more. I liked that she showed him who was in charge at times....some of the things she said....had me really smiling!

Even from the very beginning of the novel to the end, you can see Jacob come alive as he allows Isabella into his life and his heart. In such a short period of time he goes from being a somewhat lonely, somewhat stoic enforcer to someone so full of life when he was around Isabella. She offered him something he’s never been offered before; complete acceptance and there was nothing he could d or say that would alter her feelings and thoughts where he was concerned.
I easily became interested in Isabella and Jacob’s romance and their growing attraction to one another. Yes, their relationship held that usual swiftness that comes with a PNR romance, but I found it didn’t bother me. I felt their desire and the way Frank has written in their blending destinies....it made sense for them to feel that way and in turn their relationship never felt forced or unrealistic. They really complemented each other so well.

I must admit I didn’t have high expectations when I went into this book, especially considering it’s been sitting on my shelf so long, so I was pleasantly surprised to find such an enjoyable read. It’s been written in a way that there’s steady progression throughout the entire book and the world building at even such an early stage was brilliant. The other characters, who I know will be the focus of the other books in the series already interest me and I’m already planning on getting Gideon’s book as soon as possible.

Rating:
Source: I bought
Format: Paperback
Recommend: Yes
Recommend borrow or buy: Borrow, but buy if you're a die-hard PNR lover
Cover: Meh, it's nice, but it doesn't really "talk" to me....
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes....

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo